Britax Pavilion 70-G3 Convertible Car Seat Seat, Biscotti
Product DescriptionColor: Biscotti From the Manufacturer Packed with advanced safety features like BRITAX's True Side Impact Protection technology, the PAVILION 70-G3 Convertible Car Seat incorporates energy-absorbing materials to keep your child safe and secure in the car. It's also simple for parents and caregivers and comfortable for little travelers, thanks to special padding, a Click & Safe feature that ensures the harness is properly snug, and an EZ-buckle system to keep the buckle out of the way when boarding. Designed to grow with your child, the PAVILION 70-G3 accommodates children rear facing from 5 to 40 pounds and forward facing from 20 to 70 pounds.
- True Side Impact Protection to distribute crash forces, shield from vehicle intrusion, and contain the head, neck and body while keeping them in true or aligned
- Click and Safe Snug Harness Indicator is an audible aid that provides extra assurance when the harness is within range of appropriate snugness
- Base with SafeCell Technology designed to compress in a crash, significantly lowering the center of gravity and counteracting the forward rotation of the child seat which normally propels the child toward the front seat
- Integrated steel bars strengthen the connection to the vehicle and reduce forward flexing of the child seat during a crash
- Energy Absorbing Versa Tether features a staged release tether webbing to slow the forward movement, reducing the crash forces reaching the child, and a two point attachment to minimize forward rotation while anchoring the top of the child seat
This is how to choose which Britax cars seat will work for you. It can be confusing and small differences matter.
The numbers 55 and 70 indicates maximum weigh of the child. CS means Click and Safe snug harness indicator, G3 is new line with 2 new features:
- HUGS new chest pads with safecell technology that are designed to compress in a crash and reduce the amount of impact forces experienced by the child and
- EZ easy buckle system that prevents the child from sitting on the buckle when boarding.
From the simplest to the most advanced the new G3 models go:
Roundabout (up to 55 lb), Marathon, Boulevard, Pavilion and Advocate (all up to 70 lb). First two are the base models and I only considered the Boulevard, Pavilion or Advocate.
I chose the Pavilion 70-G3 because has all the features that matter to me (Roundabout and Marathon lacks them, the rest have them);
- true side impact protection,
- new chest pads that are designed to compress in a crash and reduce the amount of impact forces experience by child,
- click and safe snug harness indicator.
The Advocate goes further and has a bulky addition in the head area for more safety, but it was too bulky for my VW Tiguan. This the only difference between the Advocate and Pavilion.
Boulevard CS doesn't have NEW easy buckle system and Boulevard G3 doesn't have CS (click and safe snug harness indicator).
Overall I rate the this car seat 5 stars. No complaints:
- my son loves it, looks comfortable and the middle position is perfect to sit and watch the world through the window and take a nap without his head hanging down,
- easy to remove the seat cover ( manufacturer recommends only hand wash, no dryer but it is fine to use washer and line dry),
- easy to keep it clean (I wipe it with disinfection clothes and looks great),
- approved for air travel, although for me too bulky for plane (infant car seat is more useful for me on the plane and toddlers can just seat on the lap or seat),
- made in USA ("with global components"),
- they don't feel cheap, I compared different brands in the store and liked Britax the most,
- seat is very secure, there is no movements I had some with my Chicco Keyfit 30 infant car sear, but this is different base and seat,
- my son was never sweaty after a car ride,
- easy to install but I wouldn't want to switch the car seat between 2 cars, would buy another one,
- I bought it for my 1 year old who is big enough to use it forward facing (according to instructions and my judgement), but it is reversible for rear facing, can be used from the birth (obvious minus-can not take sleeping infant with the car seat outside).
UPDATE: My son is 2 years old, 30lb and still loves the seat and fits well in it even in the winter coat. After 1 year seat and cover looks like new. The only thing this seat is missing is a cup holder for older toddlers.
A second baby is coming soon so I probably will buy a booster type of seat 25/40 lb-120 lb for the older child and younger will inherit this one.